Candide, by Voltaire
- How Candide was brought up in a magnificent castle and how he was driven thence.
- What befell Candide among the Bulgarians.
- How Candide escaped from the Bulgarians, and what befell him afterwards.
- How Candide found his old master Pangloss again and what happened to him.
- A tempest, a shipwreck, an earthquake; and what else befell Dr. Pangloss, Candide, and
James the Anabaptist.
- How the Portuguese made a superb auto-da-fé to prevent any future earthquakes, and how
Candide underwent public flagellation.
- How the old woman took care of Candide, and how he found the object of his love.
- Cunegund’s story.
- What happened to Cunegund, Candide, the Grand Inquisitor, and the Jew.
- In what distress Candide, Cunegund, and the old woman arrive at Cadiz; and of their
- The history of the old woman.
- The adventures of the old woman continued.
- How Candide was obliged to leave the fair Cunegund and the old woman.
- The reception Candide and Cacambo met with among the Jesuits in Paraguay.
- How Candide killed the brother of his dear Cunegund.
- What happened to our two travellers with two girls, two monkeys, and the savages, called
- Candide and his valet arrive in the country of El Dorado — what they saw there.
- What they saw in the country of El Dorado.
- What happened to them at Surinam, and how Candide became acquainted with Martin.
- What befell Candide and Martin on their passage.
- Candide and Martin, while thus reasoning with each other, draw near to the coast of
- What happened to Candide and Martin in France.
- Candide and Martin touch upon the English coast — what they see there.
- Of Pacquette and Friar Giroflée.
- Candide and Martin pay a visit to Seignor Pococuranté, a noble Venetian.
- Candide and Martin sup with six sharpers — who they were.
- Candide’s voyage to Constantinople.
- What befell Candide, Cunegund, Pangloss, Martin, etc.
- In what manner Candide found Miss Cunegund and the old woman again.
- How Candide quitted his companions, and what happened to him.
- What befell Candide in this house — how he got out of it.
- Candide’s reception at court and what followed.
- Fresh favors conferred on Candide; his great advancement.
- How Candide became a very great man, and yet was not contented.
- The pleasures of Candide.
- The history of Zirza.
- Candide’s disgusts — an unexpected meeting.
- Candide’s disgraces, travels, and adventures.
- Candide and Pangloss arrive at the Propontis — what they saw there — what became of
- Candide continues his travels.
- Candide still continues his travels — new adventures.
- The history of Zenoida — how Candide fell in love with her.
- Continuation of the loves of Candide.
- The arrival of Wolhall — a journey to Copenhagen.
- How Candide found his wife again and lost his mistress.
- How Candide had a mind to kill himself, and did not do it — what happened to him at an
- Candide and Cacambo go into a hospital — whom they meet there.
- New discoveries.
- Consequence of Candide’s misfortune — how he found his mistress again — the fortune that
happened to him.