Myth, Legend, Fable and Folklore
Myths, legends, fables and folklore are all forms of a broad genre known as traditional stories, distinguishable by some characteristics specific to each form (although boundaries are often blurred).
Myths tend to have a religious or ritual basis, featuring gods and super-human characters and unrealistic action, set in a time before recorded history.
Legends feature human heroes (often battling monsters and demons), with human flaws and extraordinary but credible abilities. The action will be placed in a vaguely historical context.
Fables are categorised by animals behaving in human ways, with human language, and tend to have a strongly moral theme.
Folklore -- fairy tales -- feature ordinary humans in unrealistic situations, and are generally entertainment rather than instructive. There is usually no historical framework for the action.
- The Argonautica / Apollonius Rhodius ; translated by R.C. Seaton
- Ovid's Metamorphoses / translated into English verse under the direction of Sir Samuel Garth by John Dryden, Alexander Pope, Joseph Addison, William Congreve and other eminent hands
- The Golden Asse / Apuleius ; translated by William Adlington.
- Bulfinch's Mythology: The Age of Fable; or Stories of Gods and Heroes / Thomas Bulfinch
- Aesop's Fables / translated by George Fyler Townsend
- The Fables of Aesop / translated by Joseph Jacobs
- The Fables of La Fontaine / translated from the French by Elizur Wright. A new edition, with notes by J. W. M. Gibbs
- The Odyssey / Homer; translated by Samuel Butler
- The Odyssey of Homer / translated by Alexander Pope ; with an introduction by the Rev. Theodore Alois Buckley
- The Iliad of Homer / translated by Alexander Pope, with an introduction and notes by Theodore Alois Buckley
- The Æneid / Virgil ; translated by John Dryden
- Beowulf / translated by Francis Gummere
- The Story of Sigurd the Volsung and the Fall of the Niblungs / William Morris
- The story of the Volsungs & Niblungs : with certain songs from the Elder Edda / translated from the Icelandic by Eirikr Magnusson and William Morris
- The Nibelungenlied / translated by Daniel B. Shumway.
- The fall of the Nibelungs ; done into English by Margaret Armour; illustrated and decorated by W. B. Macdougall. 
The Carolingian Cycle:
- Bulfinch's Mythology: Legends of Charlemagne or Romance of the Middle Ages / Thomas Bulfinch
- Orlando Innamorato / translated into prose from the Italian of Francesco Berni and interspersed with extracts in the same stanza as the original by William Stewart Rose
- Orlando Furioso / Lodovico Ariosto; translated by William Stewart Rose
- Old French Romances / William Morris
The Arthurian Cycle:
- The Mabinogion / translated by Lady Charlotte Guest.
- Le morte d'Arthur : Sir Thomas Malory's book of King Arthur and of his noble knights of the Round table / by
- Bulfinch's Mythology: The Age of Chivalry, or Legends of King Arthur / Thomas Bulfinch
- Four Arthurian Romances : “Erec et Enide”, “Cliges”, “Yvain”, and “Lancelot” / Chrétien de Troyes
- Sir Gawain and the Green Knight / translated by Kenneth G. T. Webster and W. A. Neilson
- Stories from Le Morte D'Arthur and the Mabinogion , retold by Beatrice Clay 
- The Legend of Sir Lancelot du Lac : studies upon its origin, development, and position in the Arthurian Romantic Cycle / Jessie L. Weston
- The Decameron / Boccaccio
- The Canterbury Tales / Geoffrey Chaucer
- The Canterbury Tales / Geoffrey Chaucer ; edited by Walter W. Skeat
- The Faerie Queene / Edmund Spenser
- The Book of The Thousand Nights And A Night / Richard F. Burton
- Household Tales / the brothers Grimm; translated by Margaret Hunt
- The Blue Fairy Book / Andrew Lang
- The Brown Fairy Book / Andrew Lang
- The Crimson Fairy Book / Andrew Lang
- The Green Fairy Book / Edited by Andrew Lang.
- The Grey Fairy Book / Andrew Lang
- The Lilac Fairy Book / Andrew Lang
- The Olive Fairy Book / Andrew Lang.
- The Orange Fairy Book / Andrew Lang
- The Pink Fairy Book / Andrew Lang
- The Red Fairy Book / Andrew Lang
- The Violet Fairy Book / Andrew Lang
- The Yellow Fairy Book / Andrew Lang
- Peter and Wendy / J. M. Barrie ; illustrated by F.D. Bedford
- Myths and Myth-Makers: Old Tales and Superstitions Interpreted by Comparative Mythology / John Fiske
- The Mythology of all Races / Louis Herbert Gray, editor ; George Foot Moore, consulting editor. 
- The Unseen World, and other essays / John Fiske
- The Golden bough : a study in magic and religion / Sir James George Frazer
- Homer and His Age / Andrew Lang