A remembrance for you M. Lok at your comming to the coast of Guinie.
First, when God shal send you thither, to procure, as you passe alongst the coast, to understand what riuers, hauens, or harboroughs there be; and to make your selfe a plat thereof, setting those places which you shall thinke materiall in your sayd plat, with their true eleuations.
Also you shall learne what commodities doe belong to the places where you shall touch, and what may be good for them.
It is thought good, that hauing a fort vpon the coast of Mina in the king of Habaans country, The English marchants intend to fortifie in Ghinea, in the king of Habaans country. it would serve to great purpose: wherfore you are especially sent to consider where the fort might be best placed, and vpon what ground: wherein are to be noted these things following.
1. That the ground so serue, that it ioyne to the sea on the one part, so as shippes and boats may come to lade and vnlade.
2. What molde of earth the ground is of.
3. What timber or wood may be had, and how it will be caried.
4. What prouision of victuals may be had in the countrey: and what kinde of our victuals will best serve to continue.
5. The place must be naturally strong, or such as may be made strong with a small charge, and afterwards kept with a few men.
6. How water may be prouided, if there be none to be had in the ground where the fort shall stand, or neere to it.
7. What helpe is to be had from the people of the country, either for the building of it, or for the defence thereof.
To mooue the king of Haban a farre off, for the making of a fort, and to note how he will like it; but vse your communication so, that although there might fall out good cause for the doing of it, yet he do not vnderstand your meaning.
Search the countrey so farre as you may, both alongst the coast, and into the land.
To learne what became of the marchants that were left at Benin.
The matters which shall be of importance to be noted we nothing doubt that you will omit, wherefore we referre the order of these affaires to your discretion.
Also we pray you as occasion shall serue that you ayd and helpe our factours, both with your counsell and otherwise; and thus God send you safely to returne.
Last updated Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 14:09