Tartarin on the Alps, by Alphonse Daudet
- Apparition on the Rigi-Kulm. Who is it? What was said around a table of six hundred covers.
Rice and Prunes, An improvised ball. The Unknown signs his name on the hotel register, P. C. A.
- Tarascon, five minutes’ stop! The Club of the Alpines. Explanation of P. C. A. Rabbits of
warren and cabbage rabbits. This is my last will and testament. The Sirop de cadavre. First ascension, Tartarin takes
out his spectacles.
- An alarm on the Rigi. “Keep cool! Keep cool!” The Alpine horn. What Tartarin saw, on
awaking, in his looking-glass, Perplexity. A guide is ordered by telephone.
- On the boat. It rains. The Tarasconese hero salutes the Ashes. The truth about William
Tell. Disillusion. Tartarin of Tarascon never existed. “Té! Bompard.”
- Confidences in a tunnel.
- The Brünig pass. Tartarin falls into the hands of Nihilists, Disappearance of an Italian
tenor and a rope made at Avignon, Fresh exploits of the cap-sportsman. Pan! pan!
- The nights at Tarascon, Where is he? Anxiety. The grasshoppers on the promenade call for
Tartarin. Martyrdom of a great Tarasconese saint. The Club of the Alpines. What was happening at the pharmacy. “Help!
- Memorable dialogue between the jungfrau and Tartarin. A nihilist salon. The duel with
hunting-knives. Frightful nightmare, “Is it I you are seeking, messieurs?” Strange reception given by the hotel-keeper
Meyer to the Tarasconese delegation.
- At the “Faithful Chamois.”
- The ascension of the Jungfrau. Vé! the oxen. The Kennedy crampons will not work. Nor the
reedlamp either. Apparition of masked men at the chalet of the Alpine Club. The president in a crevasse. On the summit.
Tartarin becomes a god.
- En route for Tarascon. The Lake of Geneva. Tartarin proposes a visit to the dungeon of
Bonnivard. Short dialogue amid the roses. The whole band under lock and key. The unfortunate Bonnivard. Where the rope
made at Avignon was found.
- Hôtel Baltet at Chamonix. “I smell garlic!” The use of rope in Alpine climbing. “Shake
hands.” A pupil of Schopenhauer. At the hut on the Grands-Mulets. “Tartarin, I must speak to you.”
- The catastrophe.