THE remaining part of the Country of the Eblani, was formerly a Kingdom, and the fifth part of Ireland; called in Irish Mijh, in English Methe, and by Giraldus Midia and Media; possibly, because it lay in the very middle of the Island. For they say that Kil-lair, a Castle in these parts (which seems to be Ptolemy’s Laberus,Laberus. as the name it self intimates) is as it were the Navel of Ireland; and Lair in Irish signifies the middle. This Meth ⌈(comprehending also West-Meath and Longford,)⌉ extends from the Irish Sea to the river Shanon. The soil (as Barthol. Anglicus tells us) yields plenty of corn, and good pasture; which is well stock’d with cattle: The County is also well furnish’d with fish and flesh, and other victuals, as butter, cheese, and milk; and well water’d with rivers. The situation is pleasant, and the air wholsom. By reason of woods and marshes in the borders of it, the entrance, or access, is difficult; so that, for the great number of inhabitants, and the strength of its towns and castles, it is commonly (on account of the Peace it enjoys) call’d the Chamber of Ireland. Within the memory of * * So said, ann. 1607.our Fathers, when the Country was too large to be govern’d by one Sheriff; for the more easie administration of Justice, it was, by Act of Parliament, in the thirty eighth year of Henry the eighth, divided into two, viz. the County of Meth, and the County of West-Meth.
Last updated Sunday, March 27, 2016 at 11:52