The Golden Asse, by Apuleius
- How Apuleius riding in Thessaly, fortuned to fall into company with two
strangers, that reasoned together of the mighty power of Witches.
- How Apuleius told to the strangers, what he saw a jugler do in
- How Socrates in his returne from Macedony to Larissa was spoyled and
robbed, and how he fell acquainted with one Meroe a Witch.
- How Meroe the Witch turned divers persons into miserable beasts.
- How Socrates and Aristomenus slept together in one Chamber, and how they
were handled by Witches.
- How Apuleius came unto a city named Hipate, and was lodged in one Milos
house, and brought him letters from one Demeas of Corinth.
- How Apuleius going to buy fish, met with his companion Pythias.
- How Apuleius fortuned to meet with his Cousin Byrrhena.
- How Apuleius fell in love with Fotis.
- How Byrrhena sent victuals unto Apuleius, and how hee talked with Milo
of Diophanes, and how he lay with Fotis.
- How Apuleius supped with Byrrhena, and what a strange tale Bellephoron
told at the table.
- How Apuleius was taken and put in prison for murther.
- How Apuleius was accused by an old man, and how he answered for
- How Apuleius was accused by two women, and how the slaine bodies were
found blowne bladders.
- How Fotis told to Apuleius, what witchcraft her mistresse did use.
- How Fotis brought Apuleius to see her Mistresse enchant.
- How Apuleius thinking to be turned into a Bird, was turned into an Asse,
and how he was led away by Theves.
- How Apuleius thinking to eat Roses, was cruelly beaten by a Gardener,
and chased by dogs.
- How Apuleius was prevented of his purpose, and how the Theeves came to
- How Thrasileon was disguised in a Beares skin, and how he was
- How the Theeves stole away a Gentlewoman, and brought her to their
- The most pleasant and delectable tale of the marriage of Cupid and
- How Apuleius carried away the Gentlewoman, and how they were taken
againe by the theeves, and what a kind of death was invented for them.
- How hee that was left behinde at Hippata did bring newes concerning the
robbery of Miloes house, came home and declared to his Company, that all the fault was laid to one Apuleius his
- How the death of the Asse, and the Gentlewoman was stayed.
- How all the Theeves were brought asleepe by their new companion.
- How the Gentlewoman was carried home by her husband while the theeves
were asleepe, and how much Apuleius was made of.
- How Apuleius was made a common Asse to fetch home wood, and how he was
handled by a boy.
- How Apuleius was accused of Lechery by the boy.
- How the boy that lead Apuleius to the field, was slaine in the wood.
- How Apuleius was cruelly beaten by the Mother of the boy that was
- How a young man came and declared the miserable death of Lepolemus and
his wife Charites.
- How Apuleius was lead away by the Horsekeeper: and what danger he was
- How the shepheards determined to abide in a certaine wood to cure their
- How a woman killed her selfe and her child, because her husband haunted
- How Apuleius was cheapned by divers persons, and how they looked in his
mouth to know his age.
- How Apuleius saved himselfe from the Cooke, breaking his halter, and of
other things that happened.
- Of the deceipt of a Woman which made her husband Cuckold.
- How the Priests of the goddesse Siria were taken and put in prison, and
how Apuleius was sold to a Baker.
- How Apuleius was handled by the Bakers wife, which was a harlot.
- How Barbarus being jealous over his wife, commanded that shee should be
kept close in his house, and what happened.
- How Apuleius after the Baker was hanged, was sold to a Gardener, and
what dreadfull things happened.
- How Apuleius was found by his shadow.
- How the souldier drave Apuleius away, and how he came to a Captaines
house, and what happened there.
- How Apuleius was sold to two brethren, whereof one was a Baker, and
the other a Cooke, and how finely and daintily he fared.
- How a certaine Matron fell in love with Apuleius, how hee had his
pleasure with her, and what other things happened.
- How Apuleius by Roses and prayer returned to his humane shape.
- How the parents and friends of Apuleius heard news that he was alive
and in health.