Britannia, by William Camden

The County of Slego.

Big H HIGHER up, the County of Slego (very proper for grazing,) lies full upon the Sea; bounded on the North by the River Trobis, which Ptolemy calls Ravius, and which springs from the Lough Ern in Ulster. It is divided from Letrim and Roscoman by the rugged Curlew-mountains and the river Succus. Hereabouts, Ptolemy places the City of Nagnata;Nagnata. but I have not been able to discover it. The same Author has likewise the River LibniusLibnius, riv. in these parts, but misplac’d by error of the transcribers, and a little above reduc’d to Dublin; ⌈(altho’, the Learned Antiquary of this kingdom, contends that the position is right.)⌉ The place which Ptolemy points at, is now call’d the Bay of Slego,Slego Bay. a creeky road for Ships just under the town; which is the chief in this County, and is adorn’d with a Castle, now the seat of the O-Connors, who are sirnamed de Slego from this place, and descended, as they say, from that Rotheric O-Conor Dun, who was so potent, that when the English first invaded Ireland, he acted as Monarch of that Kingdom, and could hardly be brought to submit to King Henry the second; but, though he promis’d submission, was ever and anon raising a Rebellion. And, as an anonymous writer of that age says, he was wont to exclaim against these words of Pope Adrian in his Diploma to the King of England, as very injurious to himV. Dipl. lib.2. cap.6. (You may enter into that Island,Girald. Cambren. de Expugnatione, p.787. and do any thing therein that will contribute to God’s glory, and the Salvation of the Country; and let the people of that Island receive you, and respect you as their Lord;) till Pope Alexander the third, by another Diploma, confirm’d this right to the Kings of England. For then, he grew more tame, and willing to hear of terms; as we shall observe hereafter. The chief families in this County, besides the O-Conors, * * Are, C.were, O-Don, † O-Haris, C.O-Hara, ¦ ¦ O-Ghar, C.O-Gara, and Mac-Donagh, ⌈but now few of them are of any considerable Fortune.

Ware, Ant. p.152, 153. A mile from Castle-Conner, in this County, is a round hill; an Entrance into which being discovered, and open’d in the year 1640, they found, within it, quadrangular Chambers, made of great Stones, and arched; the passages to which, are circular. To this, we may add the Caves of the Hill (or rather Rock) of Corren, in the same County; where, within a steep and almost inaccessible Entrance, Antiquity hath formed out of the very Rock many strange Habitations and Recesses. Before these Caves, is a path of about one hundred paces long, cut likewise out of the Rock; but whether this work (which they call the Giant’s house,) was Irish or Danish, and for what use, either it or the forementioned Chambers, were made, is difficult to determin at this great distance of time.

We shall only observe further, that the Honourable Family of Scudamore hath from hence deriv’dViscounts Slego. the title of Viscounts Slegoe.⌉

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/c/camden/william/britannia-gibson-1722/part192.html

Last updated Friday, March 7, 2014 at 13:06